Question Game

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Question Game

Post by Trekker on Thu May 08, 2014 9:47 pm

Sure. Why not? It is like any other drug out there. (nicotine, caffeine, alcohol, and pharmaceuticals included) If we can find a way to regulate it, we should. We are failing at containing it (and other drugs). Far more people die of issues. And I do not buy the idea of it being a "gateway" drug. Most people I know started by nicking cigarettes or beers from their parents. If we can get medical use out of it, we should. Where I live (in Maine) it has been medicinally legal for fifteen years, and has been expanded over the last five years. I have friends and family that use it for various medical needs. I don't use it (medically or recreationally) but I can see the benefit from it.

I like that question. Same one: Do you think medical marijuana should be legal in all states?
Trekker
The worlds sexiest lizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blondeninja on Thu May 08, 2014 10:22 pm

Not yet. Economically speaking provides us with some good revenue. However it contains negative externalizes with regards to legalization. While the health effects are not too significant in some regards the drug does have some ill affects nonetheless. So do cigarettes and they're legal, so in that regard the health issue point is pretty well nixed. However, either way you view it there will be an increased availability and as we know is proportional to increase of incidents. While the nominal amount will increase it is unsure whether or the not the percentage will. But in this case the nominal matters as more incidents is bad. The more hand wavy material comes in when you try to consider the social and community influences legalizing MJ has. Similar to how alcohol can be glamorized and it's become a major influence on teens. If less regulations were in place we would see some negative effects in this regard. One way might be to restrict it to 25+ (time when you can rent car, and when your brain is fully developed to help limit issues there) or maybe 21. No lower though. Another thing is to restrict the extra things made with pot like brownies cookies etc as they pertain to more availability and decreased ability to regulate it safely. Plus as we see media having many ill effects on teens when it comes to images of beauty and such if we keep pot to a much less glamorized and public state we could really minimize some of those issues.

Honestly I would rather pay taxes to keep it illegal FOR NOW, until the trail states get the kinks worked out and we can move to get a real good set of laws in that make the legalization fair, and allow it to minimize the negative externalizes.

Favorite guy crush if guy, or girl crush if girl?
Blondeninja

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trekker on Thu May 08, 2014 10:48 pm

Guy Crush? Hmmm... Probably Tom Hiddleston because of the following Meme:

Is there such a thing as being too nerdy?
Trekker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BamaBettie on Fri May 09, 2014 8:09 am

I so want to say no. But I have a good friend that takes nerdy to the extreme (another PhD in my life). Super smart and is handsome when he bothers to 'clean-up'. He actually wore a suit to my wedding and the women were swooning. But beyond that he refuses to be bothered by his appearance or attitude (tenny bit arrogant). Yet he complains all the time that he can't get a date. Which is actually untrue - he can never get a second date.

Is there a difference between a nerd and a geek?
BamaBettie
Queen of the HAMMERS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trekker on Fri May 09, 2014 8:52 am

To me the difference is this:
Nerdy is to be intelligent about a subject.
Geeky is to be highly passionate about a subject.
e.g.
John has three PhD's concerning the study of ancient Greece and spent the last 20 years of his life learning everything there is to know.
Sam shows up to work in a toga and face paint on obscure Greek holidays and spouting off lines that no one else learned about in school...
John is nerdy, Sam is Geeky.
These are extreme examples obviously, but still. lol One is about possessing knowledge about something that interests you and the other is about being openly passionate about it.

Would you rather be Nerdy or Geeky? Why?
Trekker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BamaBettie on Fri May 09, 2014 9:56 am

Given your examples (good btw), I would rather be nerdy. I'm not extremely intelligent (meaning highly educated) about the various subjects that interest me (ancient history, space, physics, botany and the Blues to name a few), but I do active try to read and learn more about these topics.

On occasion we do go to a star gazer party, which is kinda geeky. But I like looking at stars, and those fellas have some very nice telescopes.

Liked your question, so same one.

Would you rather be Nerdy or Geeky? Why?
BamaBettie
Queen of the HAMMERS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trekker on Fri May 09, 2014 10:34 am

I am Geeky, all the way. I am very passionate about the things that interest me, and show it at every opportunity.

I went to the last Harry Potter movie dressed as a Wizard dressed as a Muggle on holiday (Hawaiian shirt, flip flops, water wings, flamingo hat, sun shades at night, and sunscreen on my nose)

I have a complex theories about such things as Alien Life across the universe, where the flu virus came from, what Deja Vu really is, the importance of specific genes in our genes. (Stargazing is really cool, btw. I also like the back histories that surround the stars, like Altair and Vega)

I engage in deliberate and deep discussions with people at the obviousness of 50 Shades of Grey (at least the first book) being an obvious rip off of the first two Twilight books. (50 shades started as a Twilight fanfic and all the main character archetypes are blatantly there)

I have spirited conversations about The Hero's Journey and its placement in our society and why our stories always have the same core elements.

I have a "As You Wish" tattoo because I believe in the meaning of those three words so deeply that they are the very epitome of literary brilliance to me.

I am Geek and I love being so. It is very hard for me to be passionate about something and not want to shout it from the tops of the trees. I have a lot of friends that are more nerdy than me. Most are not as geeky as me, but we all have our tangents.

What affects culture in our society more... The truth behind a theory, or the glammed up version for the masses?
Trekker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BamaBettie on Fri May 09, 2014 11:36 am

tritrekker wrote:I have a complex theories about such things as Alien Life across the universe, where the flu virus came from, what Deja Vu really is, the importance of specific genes in our genes. (Stargazing is really cool, btw. I also like the back histories that surround the stars, like Altair and Vega)

I would love to hear those theories sometime. Seriously. And I imagine we may have similar thoughts on some.

tritrekker wrote:I engage in deliberate and deep discussions with people at the obviousness of 50 Shades of Grey (at least the first book) being an obvious rip off of the first two Twilight books. (50 shades started as a Twilight fanfic and all the main character archetypes are blatantly there)

I could never get past page 2 of Grey. And I tried numerous time because my girlfriends were raving about. And I never even touched the Twilight books.

tritrekker wrote:I have spirited conversations about The Hero's Journey and its placement in our society and why our stories always have the same core elements.

I have a "As You Wish" tattoo because I believe in the meaning of those three words so deeply that they are the very epitome of literary brilliance to me.

I am Geek and I love being so. It is very hard for me to be passionate about something and not want to shout it from the tops of the trees. I have a lot of friends that are more nerdy than me. Most are not as geeky as me, but we all have our tangents.

Just cool and passionate... :)

Sadly I think it is the glammed up version for the masses. Most people really don't want to know the truth; they would actually have to take the time to become educated and informed. It is so much easier for a sound bite to tell you what to think. Especially if it agrees with what you already basically believe anyway.

If you and a friend both wanted the same thing, and there was only one, would you let the friend get it first?
BamaBettie
Queen of the HAMMERS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blondeninja on Fri May 09, 2014 11:53 am

Yup

Have you ever used the program "LaTeX"?
Blondeninja

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trekker on Fri May 09, 2014 4:08 pm

Never even heard of LaTeX until now. And then I googled it. Experimental coding? Sounds fun.

What are your plans for the Weekend?
Trekker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BamaBettie on Fri May 09, 2014 7:12 pm

We're in the middle of remodeling the kitchen & living room. So depending on rain or shine, we'll do work inside or outside.

What's your favorite weekend activity?
BamaBettie
Queen of the HAMMERS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trekker on Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 pm

Spending time with my family. (cousin's, aunts, uncle) We a generally tight knit bunch, so it does not much matter what we really do. Just chilling is great.

What is the most thoughtful television show you have ever seen?

Trekker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by General Cornrow Wallace on Fri May 09, 2014 10:10 pm

Thoughtful as in thought provoking? To me all shows have that ability. There is almost always some sort of lesson or moral buried deep under all the gloss of TV. But the first show that came to mind was Scrubs. Don't know why.

If you had a one-way time machine, which direction are you headed in?(Note that if you choose future you cannot use any other time machines invented to keep the spirit of the question alive and because lol)
General Cornrow Wallace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trekker on Fri May 09, 2014 10:13 pm

Probably headed back in time. Either to the middle ages where I could be a philosopher or artist. Or back to the 70's to see all kinds of awesome live music.

If you could meet one musician (alive or dead), who would it be?
Trekker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BamaBettie on Sat May 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Big Mama Thornton

If you could meet one artist (of any sort), dead or alive, who would it be?
BamaBettie
Queen of the HAMMERS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trekker on Sat May 10, 2014 12:58 pm

Michelangelo.... I love the name. When I have a son... His name will be Michelangelo.

What author would you want to meet? (live or dead)
Trekker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BamaBettie on Sat May 10, 2014 1:08 pm

Oh damn! That's hard. I gotta go with two. Mark Twain and Ms. Maya Angelou.

What invention do you wish had never been invented, or would do away with if you could?
BamaBettie
Queen of the HAMMERS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trekker on Sat May 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Cell Phones. lol. As an emergency communications device great. But no one uses it for that anymore. They use it as a way to disconnect from reality

I like that question: What invention should never have been invented or should be phased out. lol
Trekker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BamaBettie on Sat May 10, 2014 3:01 pm

I actually agree with you. I think people have gone overboard with their cell phone usage as an escape; I also think people have gone overboard with their expectations that a person should be available 24/7 simply because they have a cell phone. I've trained my friends and family that just because they call or text, that in no way obligates me to pick-up or reply; and that I will get back to them at MY earliest convenience.

If you had the ability, what invention would you like to see or create? Something that would be helpful to humanity as a whole.
BamaBettie
Queen of the HAMMERS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trekker on Sat May 10, 2014 3:56 pm

(HA! I also have my friends and family well trained for such reasons.)

I would invent a cheap, safe, clean and infinitely renewable power source that could fit in the palm of your hand. Something powerful enough to power a major city (let's say Tokyo), but cheap, safe, and portable enough for everybody to have. It would have a 0 carbon footprint to manufacture and operate. And so widely used that 12yo in every developed country in the world could afford to save allowances for their own power source, while just one of them would be enough to power any village in any part of the world.

How many universes are there?
Trekker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BamaBettie on Sat May 10, 2014 9:04 pm

All I know... more than one.

Do you think the big bang (and other big bangs) was actually the other end of a black hole? The singularity exploding outwards?
BamaBettie
Queen of the HAMMERS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trekker on Sat May 10, 2014 9:28 pm

That is one possibility that excites me actually. It is possible. And it is kind of cool concept. I am open to any theory, so long as it can be explained as plausible. The blackhole big bang idea is one that does seem plausible to me.

Let us continue with blackholes: No one knows with any certainty what happens once an object (or light) passes the Event Horizon, because noting ever comes back. So it makes the study of blackholes more of a study of what isn't there. Makes things things tricky.

So if we were to go "visit" a blackhole and get sucked in... Theory suggests that the blackhole would rip us apart and we would be spread very thinly along the Event Horizon.
Most people think that the stretching would kill us. But some (well, me) suggest our consciousness and perception of the world continue unchanged, because we are stretched, but so is the rest of the universe in the immediate vicinity.

My question is: Would we know we hit the Event Horizon or would it seem like we were continually falling towards it?
Trekker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blondeninja on Sun May 11, 2014 2:32 am

fuuuuck black holes? Finnnneeeee

So, basically, going to do my best to not....fuck it you asked for black holes....

There's this neat thing called quantum field theory in curved spacetime which is is an extension of standard, Minkowski-space quantum field theory to curved spacetime. A general prediction of this theory is that particles can be created by time-dependent gravitational fields (multigraviton pair production), or by time-independent gravitational fields that contain horizons. Fun eh? Well (I will avoid words like basically or essentially) it allows us to predict that event horizons emit radiation like a black body with a finite temperature. (A thermodynamic black body which absorbs all incident EM radiation and at thermal equilibrium emits a special black body radiation).

From this we are able to start to construct a picture of a black hole, in actuality it has three physical properties. Those being a mass, charge and an angular momentum. We can say this because we can observe these outside of the black hole itself, and, fun fact we can find the mass using the gravitational analog of Gauss's law. Ok don't hate me if that wasn't fun, sue me for trying to have some FUN! Anywho, the main thing here is that black holes are each different and we actually classify them by mass. Which is kind of neat.

Ok, the meat of the question, the event horizon. This is where we rely heavily on relativity which is based on the observer. Before that we really need to understand an event horizon in more than simplistic terms. (If a dumb ass like myself can get it you can too!!). We get the concept of a point of no return, but more specifically than that it is the point at which there are no paths out of the black hole. Now, not to stomp on trekkers answer above, but...a misconception concerning event horizons, especially black hole event horizons, is that they represent an immutable surface that destroys objects that approach them. Trekker may be referring to spahagettification which is similar but not quite what we're discussing here. He is not wrong in one case, as the gravitational singularity WILL rip something, anything as forces increase without bounds, but I'm trying to clear up at which point this happens, per se. So explicitly an event horizon is, in general relativity,  a boundary in spacetime beyond which events cannot affect an outside observer.

For those who care........evolution of an event horizon for expanding universe:   ;

Well we ran into that observer thing again, no avoiding it. The way we perceive what happens at an event horizon depends on where and how we observe the event. So let's break this down into two cases:

|---> CASE 1::Stationary Distant Observer//

If you are a stationary observer some finite distance from the H(z) (event horizon) then you can agree with other similar observers on where that H(z) is. Because of a cool thing called gravitational time dilation a clock near to the H(z) will appear to be moving slower or in other words as an object approaches it it moves slower and slower taking an infinite amount of time. And due to this slowing down emitted light will appear redder and redder (because of the wavelength of red) called gravitational redshift. Eventually the object would become so dim you couldn't see it and down the proverbial rabbit hole it goes. So we can theorize it would take infinite time to reach the H(z) they would not fall, once past it, forever.

|---> CASE 2::Uniformed Accelerated Indestructible Observer//

If the observer in question is the one going into the black hole (don't try this at home) she does not approach it infinitely. Her clock (too few women in science shhhhhhhhhh) appears to tick normal and they will reach it after some finite amount of time. While they could calculate when they would cross it they would never be able to tell when they did, again they would not know when they crossed it! (b/c the horizon-crossing event's light cone never intersects the observer's world line). Thusly it is impossible to determine the point of crossing locally. They would just see some blackness an apparent distance beneath them, then down the hole they go.

As you can see there is a lot that goes into this, much much more than I am able to provide here. But to answer trekkers question: no. You would not fall infinitely. But again there is so much more to it. I hope you stuck it out to the end here!!

~ Blonde <3

P.S. Again, if some dumbo like I can understand this you can too!! Very Happy

Last edited by Blondeninja on Sun May 11, 2014 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Blondeninja

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by twisted-pixel on Sun May 11, 2014 2:42 am

I don't know about anyone else...

but i just fell in love with blondie..
twisted-pixel
Member of the Royal Family
Member of the Royal Family

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BamaBettie on Sun May 11, 2014 7:01 am

twisted-pixel wrote:I don't know about anyone else...

but i just fell in love with blondie..

Smart & beautiful - I fell for her day one. But she won't give me the time of day. ;)
BamaBettie
Queen of the HAMMERS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top